As the kids get older, I struggle with how much information about them to include in publicly available blogs. Although I may continue to post stories here from time to time, I am no longer maintaining this as an active blog because I wish to keep my children's childhoods for them rather than providing them for public consumption.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ready to Hibernate

My busiest season is ending. The fall always seems to be a mad rush from event to event without time for planning or reflection and I get to the end of the year desperate for rest.

This pattern started when Patrick started school. Every year, the process of getting the kids settled in their new classes seems to take until mid-October. And, now that we are in Canada, that means that we are still in that chaos when Thanksgiving arrives. Then, Halloween rushes up and the kids change their minds about what they want to be too many times.

November brings NaNoWriMo, a writing challenge that should be simple now that the kids are all in school but isn't, because November is also the month of never-ending colds.

And, by the time I have decompressed from NaNoWriMo, I am late for Christmas planning.

There must be a better system, but I haven't found it.

Although it has been a hugely busy time, I am proud of what I have accomplished:
  • William, Michael and Jocelyn have transitioned to a very different school where they are in separate classes for the first time.
  • Patrick's school situation in September was bad enough that he changed schools in October. The change was rough but it was necessary.
  • My brother took me to England to visit our aging Grandmother and uncles, aunts and cousins.
  • I threw a highly successful Halloween party for Patrick and his friends.
  • We celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada and the United States.
  • I have started writing an irregular column for Durham Region Kids.
  • I have started writing a more public blog.
  • I have continued planning a website of play and creativity resources.
  • I have joined ongoing conversations about advocacy for appropriate education for underserved gifted children.
  • My NaNoWriMo project was successful.
  • I have connected with some InterPlayers and many writers on Twitter. These interactions inspire and motivate me.
Despite the fact that I am exhausted, I would not give up any of the above. Without the creative endeavours, the work involved in raising 4 intense and precocious children would be unbearable. But, new schools and big festivals in the fall combined with my personal projects is a lot to handle.

I am looking forward to the winter. The school situation will be calmer and there are no major holidays. I have a play to direct and a novel to revise, so I will not be resting, but I expect the balance will be better.

2 comments:

Carly at Durham Region Kids said...

Found your site! Love to read you are interacting with writers and more, and are getting inspiration. Bravo. Happy to continue giving you a platform on Durham Region Kids!

tara, trying said...

Just reading your December 23 post today, February 5. I 100% relate to the madness of fall, and I am once again reminded of our connection and how much I miss you as I realize that I was dashing off my 2010 holiday/2011 New Year letter on the very same date...
We all send our love, and I send a very real hug your way.
Cheers.