As the kids get older, I struggle with how much information about them to include in publicly available blogs. Although I may continue to post stories here from time to time, I am no longer maintaining this as an active blog because I wish to keep my children's childhoods for them rather than providing them for public consumption.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

I Love You The Best

At the ripe old age of 4 1/2, Patrick is a little vague on superlatives.

When asked to name his favorite colour, for example, he is likely to reply, "Red...and blue...and yellow...and red...and green."

Nevertheless, when I heard him say to Jocelyn, "I love you the best," I thought I needed to address his comment. So, we had a discussion about how Michael and William might have their feelings hurt if they heard him say that to Jocelyn. I told him that it is okay to have a favorite sibling but it is important not to say so.

He absorbed the conversation in his own, inimitable, style. At breakfast this morning, I witnessed the following.

William, Jocelyn, and Michael were sitting in their high chairs eating Mum-Mums while I prepared their cereal. Patrick got down from his seat, walked over to them and said, "I love you the best, William." My heart skipped a beat. Before I could react, he continued, " I love you the best, Jocelyn. I love you the best, Michael." And then, without further ado, he returned to his own seat to finish his toast.

1 comment:

Tucson or Bust said...

The sound you hear right now is that of my heart melting.